Friday, November 8, 2013

Lean, Mean + Clean Eats: Spicy Turkey Chili with Basil-Bombed Cornbread

Mmmm... how could you not?
Ohhhh another cold, snowy day in Edmonton. If it weren't for my 3 day weekend, I might have been a little bummed! ha 

For those of you who I haven't caught up, I've got some exciting things on the go right now! I have one more test left until I am done my CanFitPro Personal Trainer certification (how exciting, right??!) and have already moved on to working towards my Nutrition Coach certification. Needless to say, my day was full of protein synthesis, muscular concepts, a big ol' mug of coffee and a big cozy fireplace and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Dad's in town from Calgary this weekend and stopped by my place for a quick lunch on his way in and this chili made for a perfect little lunch. (Original recipe cred: Lisa Lavery on chow.com) I picked up a package of Bob's Red Mill Cornbread mix (gluten-free) which I made with coconut oil and used my bestie Christal's little trick -- fresh chopped basil stuffed into the cornbread to add an extra punch of flavor. YUM! You've gotta try this, I'm telling you! A nice warm and spicy meal packed with fiber, protein and veggies... what more could you ask for? Here's the magic: 

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c jalapenos, diced
1 lb ground turkey
3 tbsp chili powder
fresh ground sea salt + black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup organic chicken broth
1 can red kidney beans
2 bay leaves
a few shakes of Franks

Heat oil over medium heat in large, deep pan and once hot, add bell pepper, onion, and garlic - cook until soft (about 5 mins). Up the heat from medium to high, and add ground turkey and jalapenos - cook until no longer pink. Add spices and cook until your house smells like home :-) (about 1 min). 

Add brother and can of tomatoes with juices, crank heat to high until pot simmers. Add rinsed beans to pot and re-simmer. Reduce heat to medium low, add hot sauce and bay leaves, salt and pepper. Let simmer for 30-45 mins and serve with a spoonful of greek yogurt, a few grates of your fav cheese, some fresh chopped cilantro (gives it a great fresh flavor and balances out the spiciness!) and you're ready to rock :-) 

As for my quote of the day, I am almost more excited to share this with you than the recipe!! ha ha This one lights my heart up... no two ways about it. 



“I FOUND EVERY SINGLE SUCCESSFUL PERSON I'VE EVER SPOKEN TO HAD A TURNING POINT. THE TURNING POINT WAS WHEN THEY MADE A CLEAR, SPECIFIC UNEQUIVOCAL DECISION THAT THEY WERE NOT GOING TO LIVE LIKE THIS ANYMORE; THEY WERE GOING TO ACHIEVE SUCCESS. SOME PEOPLE MAKE THAT DECISION AT 15 AND SOME PEOPLE MAKE IT AT 50, AND MOST PEOPLE NEVER MAKE IT ALL.”
BRIAN TRACY




Yours in strength and stretchiness, 

xo Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment