Monday, July 2, 2012

Back Bacon Asparagus Frittata Recipe + A Leg Workout That Works!

Hi All! Happy Monday :-) 

isn't this what summer is all about? ;-)



heading over to the concert! it was at this point that we
 realized bug spray wouldhave been a good idea.... ha ha!

I normally work 6 days/wk so I've gotta say, two days off in a row has been a serious treat for me, and topped with all this sunshine, I am one happy girl. :-) Got all caught up on things around the house and just life in general yesterday, got a wicked workout in, and spent the night out in a field in front of a stage just jammin' to some seriously awesome music, so I'm gonna call the weekend a win!

It wasn't until I woke up this morning and (finally!) got that morning-after leg burn from a good workout that I realized this one might be a good one to share (yeeeah buddy ;-) ). I'm not sure exactly what it is, but a combination of still working on my form for some of the newer exercises I'm doing and trying to find the sweet spot in terms of how much weight I should be lifting for each exercise. Either way, this one worked for me, so try it out and let me know what you think!




Smith Machine Squats (4 x 10) 80 lbs
Lateral Lunges (3 x 24) 40 lbs (12 left leg, 12 right leg)
Leg Press (6 x 12) 90 lbs
Romanian Lunges (3 x 12/side) unweighted
Deadlifts (4 x 12) 40 lbs

Superset:
Inner Thigh (Leg adduction machine) (4x12) 160 lbs
Outer thigh (Leg abduction machine) (4x12) 145 lbs

3 sets of:
15 Jump Lunges
20 Modified Mountain Climbers (start in straight-arm plank, and instead of bringing your knees to chest, bring them out to the side, and your toes land to the outside edge of your hands, instead of behind them)
15 Alien Kicks (basically a jump plie squat, but kick your toes out to the side and bring them back in quickly while you're in the air -- I will post a video soon!)

Anyways, on to the recipe... I love eggs, and they are a really great, lean source or protein so they find themselves in my weekly meal plan pretty often. I also love fritatta because there are so many different options in terms of what you throw in, it's easy to make and delicious.  This dish keeps fine in the fridge for a few days, so it makes a perfect snack, breakfast or lunch (paired with green salad).

This recipe is great because you get the added protein from quinoa, which also makes the dish more filling. I've chosen back bacon as the protein because it's much leaner than regular bacon and, although no one ever believes me on this one, I actually really dislike "regular" bacon!

Back Bacon Asparagus Frittata
Makes 4 servings

1/2 cup TruRoots organic quinoa (cooked)

200 g back bacon, thick slices + chopped

1/2 white onion, chopped
14 stalks asparagus, washed + trimmed 
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (to brown veggies + grease pan) 

2 freerange eggs
1 cup liquid egg whites
1 tbsp cream 
non-iodized sea salt + fresh ground pepper 

1. Find yourself a frittata dish (you could probably use a pie tray if you don't have one!) and lightly grease dish with extra virgin olive oil. Set aside, Preheat oven to 350 F and get ready to whip up one mean frittata! ;-)

2. Cook quinoa according to pkg directions. I do my food prep for the week on Sundays, and quinoa is usually on that list, so I already had some ready to go in my fridge, which makes this recipe a bit easier!

3. Chop back bacon roughly and brown in a medium fry pan.  I like to get mine from the deli counter as it's less processed than what's available in those vacuum-packs, and I ask for it sliced pretty thick so it's close to cubes than slices.

4. Chop onions & brown on low-med heat for a few minutes with extra virgin olive oil until they start to brown on the edges. Set aside.

5. Wash & trim asparagus and add a little dash of EVOO to the pan again. The element dial on my stove goes to 9 and I cook asparagus between 5 and 6. Cook until brown. Set aside. (I like to cook all of this stuff separate so as to not overcrowd the pan and then have the veggies turn to mush).

6. Grab a med sized mixing bowl, crack your eggs, add liquid egg whites, and cream. Get out those big biceps of yours and whisk it all up! This step is to add air to the mixture so that the frittata tastes light & fluffy.

7. Spread cooked quinoa, onions and back bacon out evenly in frittata dish. Add egg mixture. Top with asaparagus. Add salt + pepper. Cook on mid rack in stove for about 30-40 mins at 350 F. Stoves vary big time so make sure you're checking periodically. It's done when you can stick a knife in it and it comes out clean. :-) Now enjoy your delicious protein-packed creation, you master chef!

Nutrition - 1/4 frittata - 175 cals, 16.5 g protein


And now... time to head out for a quick run in the sunshine, grab my groceries for the week and some serious patio time with a girlfriend.... nice! I'll leave you with one of my favorite thoughts for the week:


You can do, have and be anything you want. 

The only question is: how badly do you want it? Are you willing to pay the price to get it? Because the only limitation is in your own mind, it is not contained in physical reality. 


Have an absolutely amazing + fantastic week, friends!! :-)

- brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment