Monday, March 5, 2012

the miracle cookie: chocolate almond + hemp

the first time I tried this recipe I actually only made a half batch as my expectations were that they'd be an "ok" cookie. There is absolutely no flour of any type, so I thought they'd turn out really "wet" and seem uncooked - that, and I've never really been almond butter's #1 fan. It's so super awesomely great for you, so I've always told myself I like it, but on toast, it just wasn't doin' it for me.

But these cookies will change every perception you've ever had about cookies. And almond butter. I've called them the miracle cookie because not only are they completely g-free, they have no flour, sugar, or butter... and taste amazing. AMAZING! They are chewy, and sweet and perfect. Just like me! ha ha... well.. at least the sweet and perfect part.. ha ha ;-)

Another reason these cookies are great is that they have 3 great all-natural sources of protein; almond butter, egg whites + hemp hearts.






1 cup all natural unsalted almond butter, stirred well
3/4 cup Sucanat
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt (non-iodized)
1/4 cup hemp hearts
3 oz dark chocolate (I use Enjoy Life's Mega Chunks)

Preheat oven to 350 F & line cookie sheets w/ parchment

Mix together almond butter, Sucanat, egg whites, baking soda, sea salt and hemp hearts until well combined

Add in dark chocolate chunks

Now, I like to make sure all the cookies bake evenly & like them looking uniform, so I use our espresso  scoop to portion the dough into balls, put them on the cookie sheet and then flatten, but you could use an ice cream scoop or just freehand it! :-)

Bake for 10-12 mins, let cool & ENJOY.




adapted from: clean eating magazine, march/april 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment